Posts for tag: irritation
Are persistent infections getting you down? At Family Foot & Ankle Care, PC, we want to share a few tips and tricks to help you get your infection treated and to help prevent infections from developing or recurring in the future. Our doctors Dr. Alan J. Discont, Dr. Gregory M. Krahn, and Dr. Boyd Andrews are here to help.
If you’ve ever had an ingrown toenail or a foot ulcer, you’re likely familiar with the risk of infection and how troublesome an infection can be once it has developed. When you have an infection on your feet or ankles, it will take on a distinct appearance:
- Swelling - the affected area will appear swollen and larger than usual.
- Redness - swelling is often accompanied by redness, signaling irritation.
- Painful - if the affected area is experiencing redness, it is likely to be tender to touch as well.
- Warm - areas that are painful, swollen, and red are often also warm to the touch.
- Pus - a definite sign of infection is the combination of all the above symptoms accompanied by pus and discharge, which may be yellow or red in color.
When it comes to treatment options, there is limited room for a DIY do-it-yourself approach. Infections can get ugly quickly! While it might be easy to treat it when it’s caught early on, infections spread quickly and dealing with the discomfort for longer than you need to is unpleasant. Here are your options:
- DIY - the do-it-yourself option is to soak the affected area in warm water. For added benefit, try using Epsom salts in the water as well. Soaking for 10-15 minutes at a time can help draw out the infection - but make sure you sanitize your tub after each use!
- Medication - depending on the type, location, and severity of the infection, your podiatrist might prescribe antibiotics to address your foot problem.
- Relax - whether you do-it-yourself or decide to soak before seeing your podiatrist, try to relax! Staying off of the affected area is not only more comfortable but will help avoid future irritation.
If you’re searching for a podiatry practice focused around family care, you’ve found your foot doctor! Give us a call today at 408-732-0033 to schedule an appointment at our location in Chandler, Arizona.