Posts for tag: Metatarsal Injury
Captain Jordan Henderson of Liverpool has been suffering from severe chronic heel pain while also recovering from a metatarsal injury. The Liverpool captain was diagnosed with the condition plantar fasciitis, and despite seeing several specialists he is resigned to the fact that he must simply manage the pain. “At times you do get down, especially with this type of injury,” he shared. “With my metatarsal I knew exactly what kind of time scale I’d be out for. You can really focus on each step and what you need to do.”
Causes of Heel Pain
- Heel pain is often associated with plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is a band of tissues that extends along the bottom of the foot. A rip or tear in this ligament can cause inflammation of the tissue.
- Achilles tendonitis is another cause of heel pain. Inflammation of the Achilles tendon will cause pain from fractures and muscle tearing. Lack of flexibility is also another symptom.
- Heel spurs are another cause of pain. When the tissues of the plantar fascia undergo a great deal of stress, it can lead to ligament separation from the heel bone, causing heel spurs.
Why Might Heel Pain Occur?
- Wearing ill-fitting shoes
- Wearing non-supportive shoes
- Weight change
- Excessive running
Heel pain should be treated as soon as possible for immediate results. Keeping your feet in a stress free environment will help. If you suffer from Achilles tendonitis or plantar fasciitis, applying ice will reduce the swelling. Stretching before an exercise like running will help the muscles. Using all these tips will help make heel pain a thing of the past.
With the advancements in technology and greater knowledge of how muscles and joints work, physical therapists can turn things around dramatically.
If you have any questions, please contact our office in Chandler, AZ. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.