Find out how to effectively manage your bunion symptoms.
Are you dealing with bunion pain and discomfort? Wondering what the best approach is to handling the issue? If so, our podiatrists in Chandler, AZ, can certainly provide you with what you need to help your feet feel better. While simple measures won’t actually get rid of the bunion, they can alleviate symptoms and prevent it from getting worse.
Here’s what you can do for your bunions,
- Soak your feet in warm water to ease discomfort. Alternatively, you can apply ice to the area for 10-15 minutes at a time to reduce both pain and swelling
- Take a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen, which can temporarily alleviate pain and inflammation
- Lose excess pounds and maintain a healthy weight
- Apply a moleskin bunion pad to the area before wearing shoes to reduce friction and irritation
- Wear shoe inserts (custom orthotics) to provide additional support and cushioning for your feet
- Wear shoes that fit properly and don’t put pressure on the bunion
While some people find relief from their bunion symptoms by using different prosthetic devices to realign the toes, it’s important to understand that these devices only provide temporary relief and won’t permanently realign or correct the deformity.
How do I know when it’s time to see a podiatrist?
If you suspect that you might have a bunion but aren’t sure, it’s important to receive a proper diagnosis from our Chandler, AZ, foot doctor as soon as possible. Early interventions can prevent the issue from getting worse and can minimize discomfort, pain, and swelling. If you’ve already been diagnosed with a bunion but aren’t experiencing relief from the symptoms with at-home care, then it’s important to turn to us for advice on other ways to alleviate your pain.
Sometimes our podiatrist may even recommend a night splint, which can realign the toes at night to help ease pain and stiffness. Surgery is rarely needed to treat a bunion, even though it is the only way to repair the condition. You may want to consider bunion surgery if,
- At-home care isn’t managing your symptoms
- Pain is severe and affecting movement or your daily routine
- Your bunion is affecting your quality of life
- Your bunion is leading to other problems like hammertoes or bursitis
Concerned? Give us a call!
Don’t let bunion pain keep you from the things you want to do. If you are having trouble getting bunion symptoms under control, call (480) 732-0033 Family Foot & Ankle Care in Chandler, AZ, today.