How your podiatrist in Chandler, AZ, can help with bunions
Are you wondering what that large bony bump is next to your big toe? Chances are that it’s a bunion. Fortunately, your podiatrist offers several effective ways to treat this issue. Read on to learn how Dr. Alan J. Discont of Family Foot & Ankle Care in Chandler, AZ, can help with bunion pain and get you back on your feet.
Have bunions? We can help
You may be at greater risk of developing a bunion if you have a bone deformity in your foot and you wear shoes that crush your toes. Your big toe bends, forcing the toe joint to rub against the inside of your shoe, causing a bunion. High heels only add to the problem by pushing your toes forward.
If you have a small bunion, you can try a few simple tips at home to relieve bunion pain, including:
- Changing to wider, more supportive shoes
- Icing the bunion for 15 minutes several times each day
- Placing inserts or padding inside your shoes
- Taping the bunion to add support and cushioning
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
For larger, more painful bunions, you should seek out the help of your podiatrist. Dr. Discont offers several treatments for bunions, including:
- Removing calluses and corns to reduce friction
- Exercises and physical therapy to maintain mobility
- Custom-made orthotics and night splints to stabilize and align your foot
- Surgical treatment to remove the bunion, known as a bunionectomy
Need relief? Give us a call
You don’t have to suffer from bunion pain, and you can be on your way to relief with just a simple phone call. To learn more about treating your bunion pain, call Dr. Alan J. Discont of Family Foot & Ankle Care in Chandler, AZ, at (480) 732-0033. Call today!