Spring is in the air and it’s time for sandals and peek a boo toed shoes! One of our favorite primping places can turn into a fungal disaster if we are not careful. Dr. Discont strives to provide his community with the best service possible to ensure your feet stay healthy every season of the year. Toenail fungal infections are common but can be prevented if you take some simple precautions. Research the salons before you find one with a good health rating. Grab your favorite book, turn on the chair massager and let the primping begin.
How do I get a safe pedicure?
- Schedule your appointment for the morning when the salon first opens. The tubs will be at their cleanest point.
- Bring your own tools from home to ensure cleanliness. Not sharing tools with strangers will reduce infection since you know for certain that they are sterilized.
- Make sure that your pedicurist cuts your toenails straight across with your own clipper. Any other style will increase risk of injuring your nail which allows infection in quickly.
- Shave your legs the day before your pedicure. The razor can leave mild abrasions that are not noticed easily and can be another portal for infection.
- Be sure to purchase a rubber or wooden cuticle tool, metal tools can be sharper.
How do I handle a toe nail infection?
- Fill a small tub with vinegar and lemon juice and soak for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Scrub the infected nail gently and dry it completely. Repeat daily until the nail grows out.
- Topically apply tee tree oil, coconut oil or lavender oil twice a day.
- Purchase an antifungal treatment and apply regularly.
Before you pick your color make sure your toes nails are healthy and ready to be pampered. Covering up an infected nail will only bring more damage and could ultimately end in a drastic scenario like losing the nail all together. Family Foot & Ankle Care, PC is here to make sure your feet are safe from fungal infection and any other foot related issues. Conveniently located in Chandler, we can be reached at 480-732-0033 for an appointment.