Basic foot care is easy to skip because our feet are not in plain sight but they will sure remind us when they are in pain. Here are some basic foot care suggestions to keep your feet happy.
- Wash your feet regularly and pay attention to changes in color and temperature. Peeling on the soles can indicate athlete’s foot, while discolored toe nails can be a sign of a nail fungus.
- Trim your toenails straight across and not too short or close to the nail bed. Cutting into the sides can cause ingrown toe nails.
- Chose the right shoe, it is so important especially as you age. The wrong shoe can create many issues and the style right now is sympathetic to health conditions and offer more options.
- Be cautious when using home remedies for foot conditions as they can turn a minor issue into a larger one if not you’re guided correctly. Calling a podiatrist can be a quick and simple way to get the right answer.
- Alternate your shoes every day as this could save you from getting athlete’s foot or any other related fungal condition.
- Walking bare foot is certainly fun and fancy free but it can put you at risk of injury and infection and let’s face it, that is no picnic. Sandals are a good alternative and still allow your little piggies to get some air.
- Do not ignore foot pain, it is your body’s way of telling you that there is something wrong! Please contact us if you are experiencing foot pain.
- If you are a diabetic you should take extra special care by using both your podiatrist and general doctor to ensure you are not missing anything.
- Use moisturizing lotion to help keep skin dry. Just a small amount a few times each day does the trick.
- Walk daily and let those dogs out of the yard. Simple but good and it certainly keeps your feet moving which keeps them healthy!
Family Foot & Ankle Care, PC of Chandler Arizona wants to help you keep your feet happy and healthy. If you are experiencing pain in your feet or just need a check up on chronic issues call Dr. Alan Discont for an appointment at 480-732-0033. Understanding basic foot care allows your feet to take you where you need to go!