Are bunions affecting your day-to-day activities? Here are some tips on how to handle your feet.
Even though bunions are a pretty common condition they don’t always have to cause pain. Unfortunately, those with more severe cases often deal with some serious discomfort. If putting on shoes or even walking normally is uncomfortable due then it’s time you sought relief from Dr. Alan Discont, your Chandler podiatrist. Here are some other ways to alleviate your daily symptoms:
- If you are overweight then it’s time to change your diet and lifestyle to drop those extra pounds. When there is less pressure placed on your feet you’re less likely to suffer from bunion pain.
- One way to keep your bunion from rubbing against your shoes and causing pain is to apply moleskin or a pad to the bunion. These can easily be found at your local drugstore.
- Consider wearing prescription orthotics during the day and a night splint while you sleep to help ease bunion symptoms.
- Use over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) medication like ibuprofen to help with both swelling and discomfort. Your Chandler podiatrist may also recommend prescription medications for those with more severe pain.
- Only wear shoes that offer a spacious toe bed and allow you to wiggle your toes.
- Switch between warm foot soaks and icing your bunion to help ease symptoms.
When it’s Time to Consider Surgery
No one wants to think about it but if you aren’t finding relief from your symptoms after exhausting all of your other treatment options, then it’s time to talk to your Chandler podiatrist about whether surgery is the best alternative. If you’ve been experiencing pain for at least a year then it’s time to strongly consider surgical treatment options. Furthermore, if your bunion is causing other painful problems like bursitis or hammertoes then it may also be time to agree to surgery.
There are more than 150 different kinds of bunion surgeries depending on the severity of your condition. We will discuss your treatment options and help you determine which one is right for you.
Don’t let bunions affect your quality of life. Turn to your Chandler podiatrist to give you the foot care you require to lead a healthy, pain-free life. Call Family Foot & Ankle Care today!