Students of Kalamazoo’s Milwood Elementary were treated to a free shoe fitting and footwear thanks to First Day Shoe Fund. The program, which serves to provide shoes for children in low-income households, was founded by Valerie Denghel.
Volunteers helped to fit shoes for the children, whose ages range from preschool to third grade.
“We’re extremely busy,” First Day Shoe Fund board member Michelle Miller-Adams said, “It’s nice because all these kids need shoes.” In addition to free footwear, the recipients also received free socks. Hundreds of families have benefited from this program, which has aided Kalamazoo’s public schools for seven years.
Wearing properly fitted shoes can serve to prevent injuries and adverse conditions to your legs and feet. Dr. Alan Discont of Family Foot & Ankle Care, PC can help size your feet and provide recommendations on the best exercise footwear for your feet so they remain healthy and can provide care should you develop any foot problems.
Getting the Right Shoe Size
There are many people that wear shoes that are ill-fitting, which affects their feet and posture. Selecting the right shoes is not a difficult process so long as you keep several things in mind when it comes to selecting the right pair.
· When visiting the shoe store, use the tools available to measure your foot
· When measuring your foot with your shoe on, add 1-2 inches to the size
· Be sure there is ‘wiggle room’. There should be about an inch between your toes and the tip of your shoes
· Do not always assume you are the same size, as manufacturers run differently
· Purchase shoes later in the day as your feet swell as the day progresses
· If a shoe is not comfortable, it is not suitable. Most shoes can’t be ‘broken in’, and comfort should be the ultimate goal when it comes to choosing the right pair of shoes
As our feet hold our body weight and keep us moving, it is important to treat your feet right by choosing the right pair of shoes that can provide them comfort and mobility with minimal pain.
Read the full article on Choosing the Right Shoe Size.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact one of our two offices which are located in Sun Lakes or Chandler, AZ. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.