Blisters are often caused by repeated friction to one area of your foot while confined in a shoe that doesn’t fit properly. While they do not always need medical attention, you can be bothered by the pain. Keep in mind that if the blister pops on its own there may be a white or yellow fluid which should be examined quickly.
Here are some simple ways you can skirt around getting a blister:
- Break in those new shoes slowly around the house instead of your slippers, a dance party may not be the time to make sure they fit!
- Petroleum jelly has been around for decades but now you may see it on the shelves as “Vaseline” It is great for keeping the blister soft and it is very easy to find, in fact, it may already be in your mother’s medicine cabinet!
- Wash and dry your feet after the shower to prevent infections, this is beginner bathing but we all need a refresher in more ways than one!
While blisters can appear anywhere, our feet seem to get hit the hardest. Surprisingly, they can be relieved with a few simple tips. If you neglect the preventative tips, you may get lucky enough to avoid a blister. However, if your preventative efforts fail, use these suggestions immediately and it may be easy to rid yourself of it rather quickly.
Here are some simple ways to get rid of a blister:
- Let the blister breathe so that it can do its own thing and perhaps heal by itself.
- Clean it thoroughly but gently with a soft cloth and blot it dry.
- Use antibacterial overnight with a band aid to cover it so the cream stays on longer.
- Soften it by soaking it after a day or two with Epsom salt.
- Do not let anything stick to it or get into it as to not create a potential scenario for infection.
Blisters are not life or death but they can be annoying and ultimately slow you down. While they do not always require a medical visit, they can certainly create problems if not treated correctly. If you need treatment for any foot condition or want to schedule an appointment with Alan J. Discont, DPM or Dr. Krahn, you can contact us at 480-732-0033. Family Foot & Ankle Care, PC is conveniently located in Chandler, Arizona and look forward to serving your podiatry needs!